Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dud, You Are, Like, Embarrasink Me!

The past couple of weeks have been a series of extreme highs and extreme lows. I could use some cliche metaphor involving a roller coaster to explain this, but I prefer to dangle the option out in the open and then proceed to talk about something else.

Things I'm Stoked On
-Working as a screenwriter/director/etc. for Video Production
-Winning 1st place in the Whittier Award for Short Fiction
-Getting ca$h for aforementioned award
-Getting better at frisbee (in case you forgot, I'm in college)
-Making art
-Those chocolate covered peanut-butter-rice-crispy balls at the CI

And so on.

I tried giving blood today, for the second time. And, for the second time, I was deferred. But those assholes STILL engaged in the sick pleasure of poking me with needles... twice!

I went in and seemed like a prime candidate: my temperature was fine, my health background was fine, the nurse liked the shirt I was wearing... all signs pointed to me having a massive needle stuck in my arm, my blood winding up in a sack and me sitting at the snack table eating cookies and juice like I was 6 years old. They then asked for a sample of my blood to check my iron levels. So, with a finger prick I overly dramatized in my head, the nurse took a sample of my blood. The results said my iron level was way too low. The nurse called in the HEAD nurse (I'm such a bother) who took ANOTHER prick of blood from ANOTHER finger. The results said my other sample was erroneous, but my iron level was nonetheless one-tenth too low. We're talking... 10.0 when the minimum is 10.1. Boo. So I came out with two finger pricks and no donated blood... but I took cookies from the snack table anyway.

In any case, I was successfully able to put my name down as someone willing to donate their bone marrow if needs be... and I got the sticker to prove it! I guess there's a 1 in a million chance that I'll even be asked to donate my bone marrow. And besides, I'm not using it for anything. Might as well make myself eligible to save some lives.

[The Fray and U2 begin playing a benefit concert in the background]

Did you guys know that Lacy Chabert is the voice of Eliza Thornberry? Gretchen Weiners. Is the voice of Eliza from "The Wild Thornberries." Weird? Insanely.

No comments:

Post a Comment