Sunday, July 18, 2010

My Subconscious Still Wants Me To Wear Black and White.

*stumbles out of black hole and squints at the light*

Welp, Actor's Academy is over. No big deal. Just totally changed my life a little bit, that's all.



Tomorrow will be the first Monday since the past 5 weeks in which I will not awake to my obnoxious phone alarm at 8am, throw on basketball shorts and an inside out t-shirt, search the house for a pair of gloves and broom handle, and spend 9-18 hours with about 40 people with whom I am completely obsessed. The adjustment will be difficult. I'm just now being reintroduced to the concept of sunlight, but baby steps are best. My immune system is still not accustomed to the outside world's atmosphere and I'll most likely die if I touch water.

Yes, I did just reference both War of the Worlds and Signs. Spoiler Alert: both endings suck!

Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan (the director of Signs, keep up with me here), did Avatar: The Last Airbender suck or WHAT?! I know it came out like three weeks ago, but it's never too late to rant about the biggest disappointment of your life. You know what I did during that movie? Huh? I slept. That's right. I took a nice little nap. And I had a nightmare. You know what that nightmare was? Waking up and finding out there was still an hour and a half of the movie to go.

Avatar is a BRILLIANT show, (from what I hear) a BRILLIANT book series, and had the potential to be a BRILLIANT movie. But something happened... I don't know what... it probably started when they decided to pronounce "Aang" "Ong" and "Saka" "Soka"... but it was utterly destroyed. The only competent actors in the entire movie were Uncle and Zuko (thank goodness for small favors), Soka Cola completely neglected his duties as a comedic relief, Kitara was a melodramatic little teenie-bopper who picked up her acting habits from watching Hermione in the first Harry Potter movie, and the plot was a series of undeveloped tidbits from each television episode. The only thing I liked about the movie? Appa. Appa looked REAL! Which was kind of cool. If the movie had been Apa: The Last Flying Six-Legged Buffalo Sky Bison Thing I would have been all about it. But it wasn't. It was a crock of shit movie that could have been done right about 1 million ways but decided instead to take a bath next to a toaster. I guess you could say I am "bent" out of shape about Avatar. Oho!

Last night I went to a little apartment barbecue, and there were guys there from pretty much every country except America. Germany, Russia, Italy, (I think) Argentina... now, when it comes to barbecues, we think, well that's kind of America's thing. Hot dogs, hamburgers, Independence Day, bug repellent, et cetera. But these Germans and Russians and Italians and (I think) Argentinians are on to something. This wasn't a burger-hot dog barbecue. The meat was... dare I say... quality. All sorts of cuts and animals. My apologies to any vegetarian readers. But not to the vegan ones. And it was all delicious! Other cultures invest so much more than Americans do in their barbecues. It was all prepared with a sort of pride and dignity. I guess everything Americans do is with pride and dignity as well... but the difference is that we do it regardless of whether or note we're justified. It was an interesting cultural experience, and a tasty one.

No comments:

Post a Comment